Heeraben Modi was born in the year 1920 (age 99 years; as in 2019). Her hometown is in Vadnagar, Mehsana, Gujarat.
Family, Caste & Husband
Heeraben Modi belongs to the Modh-Ghanchi community of Gujarat, which is categorized as the Other Backward Class (OBC) by the Indian Government. She got married to Damodardas Mulchand Modi, a tea seller.
She has five sons named Soma Modi (retired officer in the Health Department), Pankaj Modi (Cleark, Information Department of Gujarat Government), Amrit Modi (retired lathe machine operator), Prahlad Modi (a shop owner), and Narendra Modi (14th Prime Minister of India).
She has a daughter named Vasantiben Hasmukhlal Modi.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
- She got married to Damodardas Mulchand Modi at a very young age.
- Heeraben is the mother of one the world’s most powerful leader’s, Narendra Modi.
- Her third eldest son, Narendra Modi became the Prime Minister of India in 2014. Before that, he was the chief minister of Gujarat for the four consecutive terms. When Narendra became the Chief Minister of Gujarat for the first time, she advised him to not to take bribes in Gujarati as, “Beta, kadi lanch na leis.”
- In an interview, Narendra Modi said that her mother was the pillar of his life and has played a crucial role in his success.
- Before the results of 2014, Narendra Modi visited her to take her blessing.
- She used to live in the family’s ancestral home in Vadnagar before her husband’s death. After her husband died, she shifted to her youngest son, Pankaj’s home.
- In May 2016, she visited her son, Narendra Modi’s official residence at Race Course Road for the first time. Narendra shared the picture of him showing his residence to his mother, Heeraben.
- In November 2016, she was seen standing in the ATM queue, supporting her son’s decision on banning old currency notes.
- Narendra Modi paid a visit to her mother again before casting his vote during the 2019 Lok Sabha elections to seek her blessing.
- She cast her vote in the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, even at the fragile age of 99.
- After Narendra Modi-led BJP’s massive win at the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, Heeraben greeted media outside her home in BJP.
- In 2014, Former Prime Minister of Pakistan, Nawaz Sharif, sent Heeraben a ‘saree’ as a gift. The saree was a return gift for the ‘shawl’ Narendra Modi had given to Nawaz Sharif’s mother.
- In one of her photos, she was seen holding a placard that read, “Kya ap mere bete Narendra ko 2019 me vote denge? (would you give the vote to my son, Narendra, in 2019?).” The photo went viral instantly. It was later found out that the picture had been photoshopped from the photograph in which she was holding the gifted saree from the Former Prime Minister of Pakistan, Nawaz Sharif.