Gurdas Maan is a Punjabi singer, songwriter, choreographer, and actor. He is one of the most renowned personalities of the Punjabi Music Industry. He came into the limelight with his Punjabi song “Dil Da Mamla Hai.”
Gurdas Maan was born on 4 January 1957 (age 62 years; as in 2019) in Giddarbaha, District Muktsar, Punjab. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He did his schooling from Patiala’s Yadavindra Public School and pursued his Master’s Degree in Physical Education from a college in Malout, Punjab. Thereafter, he did a Diploma Course in Sports Coaching from Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports, Patiala. He was inclined towards music from a very young age. Maan participated in various singing and mimicry competitions at his college’s youth festivals and has won several awards.
When Gurdas was in college, he gave a musical performance on the song “Sajna Ve Sajna” at an official event of the Punjab State Electricity Board. The official staff of the board got so impressed with his performance that they offered him a job in their department. During one such stage performances, Gurdas sang the song “Dil Da Mamla Hai” where he caught the attention of a producer from Jalandhar TV station who approached Maan for the TV recording of the same song. the song was aired on 31 December 1980 and became an instant hit.
Height (approx.): 5’ 9”
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Family, Caste & Wife
Gurdas Maan belongs to a Sikh Family. He is the son of Late Sardar Gurdev Singh Mann and Late Bibi Tej Kaur. He has a brother, Paramjit Bahia.
He is married to Manjit Maan who is a producer and director of Indian Punjabi Films. The couple has a son, Gurickk G Maan, who is a video director and producer.
Gurdas Maan started his singing career in 1980 with the Punjabi song “Dil Da Mamla Hai.” The song became a huge hit. Next, he released the songs “Mamla Gadbad Hai” and “Chhalla.” His Punjabi track “Apna Punjab Hove” received many awards in different categories like ‘The Best Song,’ ‘The Best Album,’ and ‘The Best International Artist’ in the Asian Pop and Media Award. In 2007, his album “Boot Polishan” won the Best International Album Award at the UK Asian Music Awards. He also sang the hit track “Ki Banu Duniya Da” along with Diljit Dosanjh on the Coke Studio MTV Season 4. Maan has also written and directed the television show “POP Time” for Doordarshan, Delhi.
In addition to singing, Maan has also tried his hands at acting. He has starred in many popular Bollywood films and has also received various awards like the Jury’s Award which was presented to him by the President of India. He has also appeared in many Hindi, Punjabi, and Tamil films. He is best known for starring in the film ‘Waris Shah-Ishq Da Waaris’ which is the depiction of the Punjabi poet Waris Shah during the creation of his epic poem Heer Ranjha. He has also made a special appearance in Shah Rukh Khan starrer “Veer Zaara.”
- In 2005, landed into controversy twice. First, for singing a film song instead of a religious song at a concert for Vaisakhi. Second, for hurting the sentiments of the Sikh community with his song that said: “throw away your religious books and underwear.”
- In 2011, he again fell into the controversy for his song “Sadi Jithe Lagi Ae Lagi Rehn De” from the album ‘Jogiya’ which was criticised by the Sikh Community as it promoted derawad.
- Food: Rajma Chawal, Sarso Saag
- Singers: Kuldeep Manak, Surinder Shinda
- Song: Aye Meri Zohra Jabeen from the movie Waqt (1965)
- His hobbies include gymming, doing yoga, and doing poetry.
- He is very fond of ice-creams.
- Gurdas was a fine athlete and has bagged a bronze medal at the National Wrestling Championship.
- He also holds a black belt in Judo.
- Maan is an ardent follower of Baba Murad Shah Ji & Sai Laddi Shah Ji and as a tribute to them, he performs every year in the month of May at the Dera Baba Murad Shah Ji, Nakodar, Punjab.
- Gurdas holds a Doctor of Music degree from the University of Wolverhampton. He received the honorary degree on 7 September 2010.
- He owns a film production house named “Sai Productions” in Mumbai.
- On 9 January 2001, Maan’s vehicle collided with a truck at a village near Rupnagar, Punjab. His driver and good friend, Tejpal, died in the accident. Later, he released a song ‘Sawari’ which was dedicated to his driver.
- On 20 January 2007, Gurdas Maan again met with an accident in which his vehicle was hit by a truck at a village near Karnal. Maan suffered minor injuries on his face and body while his driver, Ganesh, was severely injured.
- Gurdas Maan is a big supporter of the Manchester United Football Club.
- Gurdas has rejected many duets offers in his singing career as he always wanted to be a successful solo artist.
- In addition to Punjabi, Maan is well-versed with Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Haryanvi, and Rajasthani languages.
- Till 2019, he has produced more than 34 music albums and has written over 305 songs.
- Gurdas Maan is the only Punjabi singer to have won a National Award for the ‘Best Male Playback Singer’ at the 54th National Film Awards for his track “Heer” in ‘Waris Shah: Ishq Daa Waaris.’
- He partnered with a Delhi-based Capital firm to launch the restaurant “The Studio – by Gurdas Maan.” It is based upon the idea of providing fine-dining experience with curated live musical performances.
- He is fondly called “The Living Legend,” “Maan Sahab,” and “The Pride of Punjab.”