Arijit Singh is an Indian singer, musician, and music composer who not only lend his voice to the stars of Bollywood but also gave rich melodies to the Indian Cinema. He is one of the artists whose name and voice are found in almost all movies, with his every harmony topping the charts.
Arijit Singh was born on 25 April 1987 (age 31 years; as in 2018), in Jiaganj town of Murshidabad district in West Bengal. He did his schooling from Raja Bijay Singh High School, Murshidabad and pursued his graduation from Sripat Singh College, Jiaganj. He began his music career training in the home. His maternal aunt was trained in music, and his maternal grandmother used to sing. His maternal uncle and his mother used to play the tabla. Thus, music was the core of the family. At the young age of 3, he got trained by Hazari Brothers. He got trained in Indian Classical Music by Rajendra Prasad Hazari, tabla by Dhirendra Prasad Hazari, and Rabindrasangeet and Pop Music by Birendra Prasad Hazari taught him.
When he was of 10, he got a scholarship from the government for training in Indian Classical Music. Growing up, he listened to Mozart, Beethoven, and Bengali Classical Music.
Height: 5′ 6”
Weight: 76 kg
Eye Color: Black
Hair Color: Black
Body Measurements: Chest 40″, Waist 32″, Biceps 12″
Family, Caste & Wife
Arijit was born to a Punjabi father who was an LIC agent and Punjabi mother.
He has a sister named Amrita Singh.
He married twice. His first wife was one of the finalists of the reality show Fame Gurukul, Ruprekha Banerjee in 2013.
However, the marriage lasted only for a short time. He married Koyel Roy Singh, who is the childhood sweetheart of Arijit in the year 2014. Arijit Singh is the second husband of Koyel Roy Singh.
The couple has three children, two sons and a daughter from Koyel Roy Singh’s first marriage.
He participated in reality show “Fame Gurukul” in the year 2005 on his mentor Rajendra Prasad Hazari’s advice, which was the first stepping stone to his career. He lost the competition ending up in 6th place. He participated in another reality show “10 Ke 10 Le Gaye Dil” and won the competition. He invested all of the prize money that he got from the show to build his own studio. There he worked as freelance artist composing music for TV Channels, commercials, and radio stations. He also freelanced for music directors like Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, Vishal-Shekhar, Mithoon, Monty Sharma and Pritam. He started with singing scratches in Telugu film industry with Kedi (2010) with the song “Neeve Na Neeve Na.”
He made his debut with the song “Phir Mohabbat” from Murder 2, which in spite of being recorded in 2009, was released in 2011. The same year “Raabta,” which had four versions in the movie Agent Vinod (2018); one of the versions being sole of Arijit. His career took a turn, and he rose to fame. He has worked with renowned music directors like Sajid-Wajid and A.R Rehman, following his duets with singers like Shreya Ghoshal and Alka Yagnik.
- In September 2013, he was arrested for assaulting a journalist, when a journalist asked him the divorce case with his first wife.
- In May 2016, he posted a letter requesting Salman Khan to retain his version of the “Jag Ghoomeya” in the movie Sultan. However, he deleted the post after a few hours. The reason for the enmity between the two was from the 2014 Star Guild Award Function. Arijit was called on stage to receive the award, Salman had just done his performance on “Prem Ratan Dhan Payo,” and was presenting the award to Arijit. Arijit came on stage saying “Aap logo ne toh sula diya,” to which Salman might have felt insulted. He had his song removed from each of his films, up until now.
- Best Male Playback Singer Award “Roke Na Ruke Naina” of the movie Badrinath Ki Dulhania in 2018
- Best Male Playback Singer Award “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil” of the movie Ae Dil Hai Mushkil in 2017
- Best Male Playback Singer Award “Sooraj Dooba Hain” of the movie Roy in 2016
- Best Male Playback Singer Award “Tum Hi Ho” of the movie Aashiqui 2 in 2014
- Food: Maacher Jhol and Mishti, Alu Seddo, and Alu Posto
- Actor: Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar, and Manoj Bajpayee
- Actress: Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone
- Musician: Ghulam Ali, Jagjit Singh, Mehdi Hassan, Ustad Rashid Ali Khan, Ustad Amzad Ali Khan, KK, and Michael Jackson
- Cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar, Lance Klusener, Sourav Ganguly and Jonty Rhodes
- Football Player: Lionel Messi, Thomas Muller
Arijit Singh has the net worth of $7 million.
- His favourite song is “Phir Le Aya Dil” from Barfi.
- Shahrukh Khan initially wanted Atif Aslam to sing the song “Gerua” from the movie Barfi.
- He has an NGO called “Let There Be Light” which works for the poor people.
- Apart from being a singer, he a badminton player, movie freak, a writer and a documentary maker.
- He loves football, and his favourite teams are Brazil and Argentina.
- He like listening gazals and Coldplay is his favourite band.
- At the starting of his career, he used to sing “Mitwaa” of the movie Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna very much.
- His directorial debut was with a Bengali feature film “Bhalobasar Rojnamcha” in the year 2015. It is compiled into seven short films.
- Arijit Singh debuted as a director in International Film Festival of India (IFFI) “Sa.” It was screened at the festival. The interesting thing is that he starred his son Jul.
- Arijit once said that independent music in India needs to be refined. He further added that the Bollywood industry empowers the independent music in India and there was a lack of infrastructure for independent music in India.
- When Arijit Singh was asked in an interview as to whether he has taken the car or not, he replied by saying that he does not own a Car and he still travels by public transport.
- Arijit Singh once said that if he ever got to travel back in time, he would love to sing with Kishore Kumar.
- He also told once that he feels claustrophobic listening to his own songs.
- T-Pain was accused of plagiarising Arijit’s song “Tum Hi Ho” from the movie Aashiqui 2.